Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Machine Envy

thursday.23.december.2010

Father Dearest really treated himself this Christmas. He got himself a delightful new machine- the Expobar semi-automatic lever-operated espresso machine. The Expobar can also be plumbed-in for faster, more convenient water dispensing and disposal. (I, however, wish him the world of luck in trying to convince my mother to let him get anywhere near the water mains).


This gorgeous machine is certainly a huge upgrade from his old baby DeLonghi and even makes my Rancilio look a little tired. Not that I’d trade in my faithful Rancilio any time soon! The crema produced by the Expobar is quite rich and dark and milk steaming goes relatively quickly. I’ve tried a couple CafĂ© Noir lattes from this machine so far and both have been quite well-balanced in terms of texture and taste.

On the down side, Father Dearest has yet to order his new grinder. His current Cuisine Art burr grinder is certainly no companion for the prowess of the Expobar. So I’ve graciously (or not so graciously) lent him my Gaggia. I’m counting down the days now until I get my hands back on my grinder! Poor Rancilio can’t be expected to produce good shots from blade ground coffee beans. In the meanwhile the trusty French Press and Hamilton Breach brewstation have been holding down the fort.

No comments:

Post a Comment