Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Almond Milk

Having a young baby seems to be an open invitation for all sorts of advice- some good, some not so good and some just plain crazy and logic defying! I’d say that we’ve been getting all types. However, one very trusted source (actually several sources repeated the same thing) explained that in her very vast experience, avoiding dairy products while breastfeeding markedly reduced the incidence of colic. So for the last two months I’ve been staying away from two of my most favourite things in the world- cheese and milk!

The cheese was one thing. But how am I supposed to be taste testing lattes and cappuccinos without milk?! And what about my Milo and Ovaltine drinks? And cereal? And calcium? (I mean there’s only so much broccoli you can eat)! Enter a strange concoction called Almond Milk. I’ve been using two brands: Almond Breeze and Silk. So far the only difference I’ve noted is that the Silk seems to be a slightly thicker milk.

In general, Almond milk is the consistency of fat free/ skim milk and has a pronounced nutty flavour. It’s not the best accompaniment to coffee as the nutty flavour introduces a whole new dimension. I’ve been enjoying my coffee black as a result… not hard to do since Father Dearest has stocked us up on yummy Social coffees. I did try a latte with the Almond milk but the thin texture made it all but impossible to produce a good microfoam!

As an addition to black tea, the Almond milk isn’t too bad. It goes quite well with Milo and Ovaltine and adds great flavour to most cereals. All in all, not too bad for a substitute. However, I am looking forward to getting back to the good stuff eventually!

As for the colic? No problems so far. Coffee Bean has been doing quite well and suffers from no prolonged bouts of unexplained crying or major digestive issues. I guess I’ll be enjoying the benefits of the Almond for a bit longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment