Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Black Cake

No lattes as yet, but last night Mother-in-law had the house full of yummy scents from the first batch of Black Cake or Fruit Cake or Rum Cake (as my London friends used to call it).  Nothing smells more like Christmas in Trinidad than fruity, spicy rum infused cake!  Unfortunately we didn’t get to eat any cake from this first batch (which technically belongs to Sister-in-law # 5) and will have to wait a couple of weeks for the second set.  Since I can’t enjoy any Ponche de crème this year, I’m really looking forward to some moderately-sized samples of black cake!
I tried to work out what coffee, espresso or latte flavour would best accompany a slice of Black Cake, but I’ve come to the conclusion that the richness of the cake really would be best left standing on its own.  Maybe a glass of Sorrel or Ponche de crème to follow would be best…

No comments:

Post a Comment