Search This Blog

Friday, July 30, 2010

Flush Out

Instead of pulling shots this evening I decided to give Silvia a good clean out. In addition to the thorough rinsing, wiping and scrubbing that Silvia undergoes after each use, she should also engage in a process called backflushing every couple of weeks. Here is where we pretend to forget that I’ve owned Silvia since May. Today was the first time I conducted a backflush on my machine. Not being a very techy person, I am always reluctant to play around too much with my electronic gadgets and appliances. After finally getting the backflush over and done with, I realise my fear was unfounded. Poor Silvia could have been flushed out weeks ago!

Process:
Backflushing is essentially a backward flow of water through the machine.  A blind filter (poreless filter- or plastic insert) is put into the portafilter to prevent water from running through as it normally would.  Special detergent is put into the blind filter, the portafilter is locked into place and the machine is switched on.  5 seconds on, turn off, get the phoosh and puck of the backward flowing dirty water, and repeat 5 or 6 times.

Being in a gadget-inspired adventurous mood, I decided to attempt filming this process (or parts of) on my new BlackBerry.  Filming was the easy part.  Getting the video off the BB and onto the computer and then onto  this Blog was an entirely different matter!  The trials and tribulations I bear for the sake of blogging-  such a martyr  ;o)
Anyway, have a look at my video clip but please do bear in mind I’ve got a loooong way to go in the video arts discipline.  By the way, that Folgers Coffee container you’ll see in the video... it’s an old container I use to store my fresh beans.  No pre-ground Folgers for me thank you!



To shed a bit more light on the Silvia cleaning process, I’ve also included a YouTube clip from SeattleCoffeeGear that shows the backflushing process in more detail.  Watch and be enlightened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment