Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Applying the Techniques

thursday.13.may.2010


If there is one thing I must be grateful for in this day of modern technology and virtual social networking, it’s YouTube. You can find anything there including how to pull shots on a Rancilio Silvia; how to steam milk the best way; and how to tamp.

Before I get to today’s effort, I should tell you that I bought my coffee trolley. This coffee making hobby of mine takes up waaaay too much space (in my kitchen and in my chequebook)! Husband keeps questioning the wisdom of picking up this expensive ‘new hobby’. Wait ‘til he hears about my ideas to start roasting my own beans!


Anyway, to de-clutter my kitchen countertops, I’ve bought a very sturdy plastic trolley that now holds all my espresso making supplies and some baking supplies. This beautiful and sturdy trolley can be wheeled around the kitchen at ease, while still supplying a comfortable resting spot for Silvia and Gaggia. [Promo ends here]


Okay so tamping technique improvement for today: Keeping my arm straight when tamping. Why did none of the articles I read state that by ‘keeping your arm straight’ they meant elbow to wrist be straight vertically? To all you know-it-all-coffee-snobs I know that seems oh so silly not to figure out but I’m new to this thing!


I started up the machines, dosed and tamped (using a ‘straight’ arm) and prepared my shot. Again a slight improvement on the previous day’s offering. I found the shot lasted a bit longer- got to the 18 second mark before the liquid turned clear brown. So I adjusted the Gaggia to a 4 and followed the same procedures. Much better this time! I got to 21 seconds and achieved a richer crema.


On to milk steaming in my new milk pitcher! I filled the pitcher half way with low fat milk and began bubbling away. Still need to work on correct angling and learn how to recognise changing sounds as the milk steams. However, I did get some creamy-ish milk that doubled in size. The milk, also fell back to just above the half way mark upon standing for a few seconds. But it’s getting there. It’s still not the quality that Gail from SeatleCoffeeGear gets on her video: http://www.youtube.com/user/SeattleCoffeeGear#p/search/3/ALYmXGI84TQ


Practice Practice Practice.


Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Hopefully some better tasting espresso!

No comments:

Post a Comment