Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Silvia has Arrived!

monday.10.may.2010

Actually the Rancilio Silvia V3 arrived on Friday night. He was unpacked on Saturday and I looked at video user displays on ‘youtube’. Sunday was Mother’s Day which I spent with my Grandmummy and Mummy. So, it wasn’t until Monday afternoon that I set the Silvia up on the counter and put him to work. Here follows my 31 step journey to my first cup of espresso… will work on reducing the number of steps!

1. Read instructions.
2. Read instructions again.
3. Put water in the tank.
4. Had husband check online to find out why there was extra tubing in the tank.
5. Did not need to remove extra tubing.
6. Tried to plug Silvia in but heard funny noise and swore I got shocked (mild).

7. Called husband.
8. Steam switch was flipped on- Husband switched it off.
9. Made Husband try plugging it in again- no need for me to be shocked twice- told him I loved him before he tried.

10. Yaay! Machine came on and no one had been electrocuted.
11. Husband disappeared.

12. Plugged in the Gaggia MDF (she also arrived on Friday night).
13. Popped in some Waitrose French Roast beans (will get better espresso beans shortly).
14. Beans ground- Dispensed some coffee into coffee container.
15. Placed portafilter under grouphead.

16. Ran hot water through grouphead.
17. Used Silvia’s scoop to put a double shot’s worth of coffee into the portafilter.
18. Was ready for action.
19. Got the cheap plastic tamper (need to buy a good one) out and prepared to tamp.
20. Squash!- with gentle force
21. Shook excess coffee grounds off.
22. Squash again!- with more force.


23. Got cup.
24. Forgot to warm cup!
25. Washed cup with hot water to warm and placed under portafilter.
26. Flipped coffee switch on.
27. Wow! I’m making espresso!
28. Dark liquid, followed by slightly lighter brown, followed by thick creamy golden brown goodness.
29. Off!
30. My very first espresso.
31. Called husband back and got camera to take picture.
32. Didn’t taste too bad.

I had made espresso. I had made espresso that had crema. Crema was made without the use of any crema enhancers or special beans. WooHoo! I’m on my way! By the way, I still want to try that LavAzza Blue that’s been recommended on several sites.

Anyway, I made a few more espresso shots to fill the caffeine void of family members who just seemed to appear in the kitchen asking what was smelling so good. Then I decided to try steaming the milk. But my father (who had come over just to check out the machines) was there and he took over the steaming wand and got the milk going. Will try it myself tomorrow.

So not too bad for a first day with the Silvia. Will see what happens tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim - I'm following your blog with interest. You must go to Melbourne if you're serious about coffee. Do a Google search and you might find out what I mean. The true home of coffee and coffee lovers.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete