Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cappu-chinky???

Back to work this afternoon on the single filter shots. Some marginal improvement on yesterday’s attempts with small amounts of crema in each of my three shots. Getting there… slowly but surely!



So after three relatively decent shots I decided to foam up some milk and go after that elusive cappuccino, which Husband asked for since last Tuesday. I got my milk pitcher out, filled it up half way with some low fat milk and a touch of low fat evaporated milk, stirred, expelled some initial steam from the steam wand, put the milk pitcher under (at an angle) and turned up the steam!


My milk rumbled, it rolled, it gurgled and it swelled!!!! I had lovely, rich, velvety microfoam! So exciting!!!!! (Hey you try doing this thing day after day and see if you don’t get excited when it finally starts going right!)


I quickly grabbed a spoon, poured three equal amounts of steamed milk into my already prepared espresso shots and then spooned the beautiful foam onto the tops. I had made cappuccino! I ran excitedly into my room and called Husband to come see my accomplishment.


“I made you cappuccino. Come see quick quick!” I exclaimed. Then as an aside, “It’s not the big fancy one you get in the shops”.


I dragged him into the kitchen and proudly pointed at my little-more-than-half-full 8 ounce cups. “What’s that?” He asked, “A Cappu-chinky?”


A Cappu-chinky?????????


Did he not realise how hard I’d just worked? How much effort went into this? How proud I was of this… this… this… cappu-chinky?


Alright it really was about 4 ounces that I was trying to pass off as a drink that normally comes in a filled to the brim 10 or 12 oz cup. Fair is fair. I, however, am still quite proud of today’s efforts. I got some decent-ish shots; I successfully foamed my milk; and I made a miniature cappuccino… a cappu-chinky!


Maybe I’ll offer cappu-chinkies in my coffee shop, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment