Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 2- complete

I've had five cups of coffee today! I wonder if I'll ever get to bed tonight. I have to admit though; a good cup of coffee just can't be beat- sleep or no sleep. I don't know what I'll do when this course is over. I’m so going to miss all the fresh roasted, freshly ground and brewed goodness that the course administrator keeps dishing out.



Although today's class was on coffee shop start-up, myself and another student from yesterday were asked to make drinks for the class, workshop leader and administrator. Only about 7 people in total. However, I ended up having to serve an espresso to the workshop leader. Now this guy, the very likeable Bill Herne, has practically every possible specialty coffee certification in the world. He's travelled to almost every good coffee producing country and has sampled some of the best and most expensive coffees in the world, including the US$100 per pound La Esmeralda from Panama. And as if that wasn't enough, he's a certified super taster- which means that he has a super sensitive and super sophisticated palate! I have to serve this guy espresso that I made after only 1 day of practice! Great! I was so nervous about his reaction to it that I asked him if it “looked okay” before I let him take the cup from my hand! Fortunately it did. He even showed me how the 'mottled' crema that I had produced was a good sign that the appropriate oils and flavours had been released. Mottled crema or tiger stripe crema- Good! Yaay me!   :o)


Now if only I could get that Evolution machine into my own house!!!




My birthday wish list- item #1 and only

No comments:

Post a Comment