Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

Cocoa Tea

Growing up, most of us Trinis would have heard or used the terms "cocoa", "hot tea", "chocolate", "tea" or "cocoa tea" to describe our caffeine-free breakfast drink. Others would have identified the sweet, hot morning drink by brand name such as "Milo" or "Quik". At my house it was prepared in individual cups and we called it Milo. At my Aunt's house it was prepared in a small pot and called Tea. Either way, I realised this weekend that I never really had a cup of traditional Cocoa Tea.

I spent the weekend exploring Trinidad's beautiful north coast with Husband and my parents. We drove along narrow, winding roads with deep green forested mountains on one side and sparkling blue waters on the other. When we weren't driving, swimming or sightseeing, we were being fed king sized meals by Kay, whose guesthouse we called home for two days. Delicious is a word that cannot begin to describe how good the food is there. Hearty breakfasts of fruit, bake, saltfsh, fish broth, vegetables and granola were delightfully feasted upon on Saturday and Sunday and sorely missed this morning.

Thanks to Mr. Coffee and the French Press, we did enjoy a pre-breakfast cup of Moka Java both mornings. However, it was the Cocoa Tea that was the star of this weekend's hot beverages. To make Cocoa Tea (I'm told) you start with a block of local cocoa, which is grated into fine bits. Spices and bay leaf are added to the bits and sometimes sugar too. The mixture is boiled until the cocoa has more or less dissolved. Then it's ready to serve. Cocoa Tea may not look like a drink fit for kings, especially with the cocoa oils floating atop. However, the taste is simply heavenly. The cocoa and spices mixed together create a most enticing aroma; and the splash of flavour on the tongue leaves you wanting more. I'd take that any day over the Cadbury's!

2 comments:

  1. If ever you're jonesing for more cocoa tea, go home by me. Dad makes it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that info!!!!! I'll mention it the next time I see him! LOL

    ReplyDelete