Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Esmeralda Tasted

The long awaited first taste of the Esmeralda... Was it everything that was promised?  Did it take me to new heights of coffee nirvana?  Was it worth all the effort? Oh yes, yes and yes!
I spoke about the delightful smell of the coffee yesterday (and that was just from opening the can).  When I opened the bag that actually held the beans, it was like taking a deep breath from the depths of a floral bouquet, with some coffee in the background.   What a sweet aroma for a coffee bean.  The sweet mustiness of Jasmine and honey bounced off the delectably discreet notes of lavender and intermingled with hints of cardamom.  Absolutely divine and unlike anything I've ever smelt in coffee before.
I couldn't bear for the taste of this coffee to be ruined.  Extreme caution was needed to proceed.  I purged the Gaggia's burrs with a few of the Esmeralda beans and then I ground just enough coffee for two cups.  I set the stopwatch on my phone and timed the vital 'cooling' minute after the kettle switched off.  I had my measuring cup at the ready and carefully checked the appropriate amount of water.  I poured the water over the grounds in the French Press, gave it all a quick stir and covered.  With my stopwatch set for three minutes, I watched and waited.
At the very moment the stopwatch beeped I carefully lowered the filter of the French Press, separating the now spent Esmeralda grinds from the liquid gold.  I poured out two servings, held my cup and took a moment to enjoy the aroma.  Every scent that had emanated from the beans was now magnified tenfold.
The moment of truth had arrived.  Time for a taste.  "Fragrant" and "light" were the first two words to enter my mind as the Esmeralda tickled my taste buds. "Sweet" and "full-bodied" was the next pair of adjectives.  I never thought I'd think of a coffee as light and full-bodied in the same sip.  But there it was, the richness and aroma of coffee with the lightness and fragrance of a tea.  Surreal and utterly delicious.  I treasured each and every sip of my Esmeralda, surprised each time by the absolute lack of bitterness.   The Esmeralda was unlike anything I've ever tasted before on my coffee journey.  The hype is justified. 

Nestled in the travel box
Esmeralda chilling by the Silvia










Waiting... 


My first cup! Yaay!

2 comments:

  1. Girl... just the way that you describe this, I know you are on the right road on your journey. You are definitely doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete