Search This Blog

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Grinder Dilemma

I think I’m starting to become obsessed with my morning coffee… well… a little more obsessed. Husband and I are going away this weekend for our first anniversary. It’s been a happy, fun year… and we’re looking forward to the many more to come.

 Coffee has been part of the fun this year, especially as we tried to fit numerous pieces of coffee machinery and accessories into the kitchen.

Therefore, one of the first thoughts to cross my mind, after confirming all the weekend plans, was “How best to make our morning coffee?”

I know the hotel will have something in the room but at home we have several bags of beautiful, freshly-roasted, divine beans from which to choose. I’m not settling for any old hotel leftovers! The Dean’s Beans and the French Press will most certainly be traveling with us.

 Next issue, we like our beans to be freshly ground and to the most appropriate size. I can’t take the Gaggia with us (only because I refuse to become that obsessive… yet) so we’ll have to settle for the portable Mr. Coffee blade grinder. Mr. Coffee is not very efficient and does not produce a consistent grind size. The tinier bean bits will, therefore, end up being over-extracted and this will lead to some bitterness in taste. See why good, consistent grind size is important?! To compensate for this we will be traveling with our own box of Farmland Half and Half. I really hope there’s a mini-fridge in the room.

Time to pack. Let’s review:
  • French Press… check
  • Mexican Chiapas… check
  • Mr. Coffee grinder… check
  • Half and Half… check
Oh yeah, there should still be some room left to fit clothes, shoes and bath suits… somewhere!

 

5 comments:

  1. You should NEVER put ground coffee in the fridge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent comment... one should never put ground coffee in the fridge- it does nothing to preserve the freshness of the coffee. However, the fridge was used to store my Half and Half (dairy product)! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated 1st anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! And haha at the coffee obsessiveness ;)

    This reminds me, we really need to get back in the habit of grinding our own beans on weekends...

    ReplyDelete