Search This Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kaffee und Kuchen

friday.18.june.2010

(This is a reprint of yesterday's blog entry, which I can't seem to fix.  Hope this version is easier to read!)

I’m supporting Germany for the World Cup. I like other teams as well but Germany is my favourite. Obviously today’s match does not please me. So, I’ve decided to cheer myself up with the much more pleasing German activity of Kaffee und Kuchen (coffee and cake).


As the English have their Afternoon Tea, the Germans have Kaffee und Kuchen which is traditionally a short break for a social gathering enjoyed between the lunch and dinner hours. Partakers in this treat gather around to share in some good conversation, cake and hot coffee or tea.


Some favoured German cakes to be savored during Kaffee und Kuchen are the Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (Black Forest cake) and the Frankfurter Kranz - a white bundt cake layered with buttercream and red jam. Recommended coffee drink: a Melange. This drink is usually served equal parts coffee and steamed milk and is similar to the Italian Cappuccino. Use a mild roast coffee for best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment