Search This Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Silence is Golden

They say that silence is golden. Apparently this is true even in milk steaming. After several attempts at steaming milk for latte art and after trying several techniques to achieve best results, I’ve come to realise that, on my Silvia, it does not matter whether my steam wand is kept deep or shallow in the milk, nor does it matter if my pitcher’s bottom remains flat… it does not even matter if my pitcher is tilted slightly or severely. The key to good milk is, quite simply, silence. However I position the steam wand in the pitcher of milk, the main objective is to achieve a rolling action as quietly as possible. The quieter my milk the less big bubbles and the more microfoam produced.
 I don’t know why I’m considering a PhD in Traditional Knowledge. I feel like I’m currently studying for a PhD in Espresso Knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment